A small experiment with animating hair in Flash. There are still a few sticky frames.
I started out with a sketch of just the character.
Once I traced the sketch in Flash, I took a first stab at animation.
Then I realized it needed a lot of work.
I took a break from animating to rough out a background in Photoshop.
I didn't want to do any coloring in Flash, so I tried bringing the frames from Flash into Photoshop and vice versa, and ran into some interesting issues. I then went back to the drawing board again and looked at a lot of Disney gifs of hair blowing in the wind. I ended up with the top sequence as a result, which I think is finally heading in the right direction.